Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Camellia Killer AKA Viburnum Killer!

Today after much contemplation went out into the garden and cut down a nice healthy, well rounded, ever green, shrub. The Viburnum (can't give a Latin name - just common round here) was a good and probably at the time cheap 'filler' for the new widened main border some 5 plus years ago. Just a little 2 foot shrub. However as a huge round dark green mass in the middle of the mixed border it was no longer working. I do feel mean about it and was considering taking cuttings which I am sure would take just fine but should a inflict such a boring plant on anyone else... I think not. The flowers were boring, never seemed to be smothered in insects, the scent, non existent. Of course next week I will learn that viburnum wood is highly prized by someone and if only I had let it go on for another few years.... my fortune made!! Perhaps not! However much as I have cut it down, there still remain lots of suckers and whether I poison the roots or dig them out. A time issue me thinks. However I can now see the lovely black Sambucus (black lace) that was hiding behind the Viburnum.

3 comments:

emmat said...

I have got exactly the same dilemma with a viburnum at the moment - they are really handy fillers, but it's too big now! Maybe you have given me the incentive to chop it. At least a bit....

Esther Montgomery said...

And I don't even know what a vibernum is!

(Feel I should do though!)

Startling picture for this post.

Glad your blog is now underway and beginning to take shape.

Esther
ESTHER IN THE GARDEN

Susan Harwood said...

What fun to see THE BRICKS IN THE CAVE in your side-bar.

And Addiemotion too!

Susan

I was very nearly a Camellia Killer, if I hadn't sought help on line I would have been - hopefully someone will learn from my gardening trials and tribulations. Never, never use tap water to water your prized Camellia if you live in a hard water area - make the effort and walk round the back to the water butt.