Wednesday, April 30, 2008

More seeds planted

True April weather still going strong - it’s somehow comforting when the seasons do what they are supposed to rather than the boiling hot temperatures we had this time last year. However it does mean it’s raining again! Good job it runs away into the sea.



Planted cosmos seed yesterday for filling in spaces in the borders. The packet said sow in a seed tray – I made more newspaper pots and sowed single seeds direct into the pots, surely that will cut out the pricking out stage which disturbs the plant? I have had cosmos self seed in the past in the garden so am fairly certain they’d do OK. I only planted 13 of each sort tall and dwarf, it’ll be interesting to see the success rate.

I haven’t got to the escallonia yet, but having decided it has to go I am itching to make a start cutting is down but there are more pressing tasks at the moment like planting sweet corn seed and nasturtium seed. I have never planted sweet corn before and an not sure where I shall squeeze it in but it obviously grows well because there are fields of it around here even if they are grown for silage and not the cobs – or so I believe. Come to that I even saw a field of sun flowers last summer up by Dorchester, how ‘climate change’ is that or perhaps not? I certainly don’t remember ever seeing such a thing before, except abroad in hot countries.

Other task to be done is tidying the front garden hands and knees job. Poor soil in the front garden as unlike the back it has never been cultivated and had lots of mature etc added. I am very lucky with my back garden soil, no stones, easy digging – what I do need to do is to get a soil testing kit and actually find out what I’ve got. I would hazard a guess that it’s fairly neutral but that is only a guess.

3 comments:

VP said...

Hi Helen - thanks for faving me over on Blotanical. I thought I'd hop on over and put a comment on here :)

We've just come back from a week at a cottage in Nottington - not too far from you I see! Had a lovely time - I think we picked a better week than this one...

Esther Montgomery said...

If you would like anyone to flavour-test your strawberries, I will be happy to volunteer!

Esther Montgomery
ESTHER IN THE GARDEN

P.S. I'd probably be glad to come back and offer a second opionion too. E.

alec said...

helen- its alec.
i am truly having a difficult time choosing between London, Yorkshire, and dorset. can you acquaint me witht eh vernacular used in england( i am aware of the meaning of the loo, bathing costume, tube, as well as others)i am reading jane austens Mansfield Park currently, and i simply adore her.

I was very nearly a Camellia Killer, if I hadn't sought help on line I would have been - hopefully someone will learn from my gardening trials and tribulations. Never, never use tap water to water your prized Camellia if you live in a hard water area - make the effort and walk round the back to the water butt.