Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Pots and pots.


Lovely day – not a cloud in the sky, typical after a bank holiday weekend. Monday which was May day was damp and grey and not a gardening day. Yesterday it was18 degrees by 10.00 in the morning sun hats and sun tan lotion weather - looks like the same for today. I do feel sorry for the people in the offices. Not that sorry though it used to be me.

Planted out the first of the ‘climbing’ petunias. Some in little plastic pots, some in peat pots (never again!!) and some in newspaper pots. See below for the difference between the plastic pot roots circling the bottom of the pot and the ones of the newspaper pot which have pushed their way through. The newspaper pots are longer too so deeper roots to start off when in the ground. Definitely a must from now on. Need to sort out making larger pots ie ‘pot into a 3 inch pot’. The principle for making the pots does not work much above 1 and a half inches. I have a cunning plan – watch this space!


Anyway half of the plants are in, may have put too many in we’ll see also I have no idea how the ‘climbing’ is supposed to happen. The T&M dvd was a bit vague, I suspect I will have to tie them up.

Had to find a home for a dwarf conifer that was occupying the one pot that was the right size for the second batch of petunias. I would have given it away if I could think of someone who would want it. I could have chucked it but it deserves a chance, just hope it goes on being dwarf once in the ground.

This is the wire frame purchased in a rash online moment for the petunias, some bamboo canes would probably have done just as well.



Cosmos seed were up by last Friday!! Must be the growing season or something.

No comments:

I was very nearly a Camellia Killer, if I hadn't sought help on line I would have been - hopefully someone will learn from my gardening trials and tribulations. Never, never use tap water to water your prized Camellia if you live in a hard water area - make the effort and walk round the back to the water butt.