Thursday, May 8, 2008

Amphibians

I have a frog in the garage! He lives by the tap which has a slow leak, not just a washer leak which I could fix but a fault with the pipe somewhere. It therefore means there is a permanent damp patch around the drain, the drain is wet anyway because that is where the waste from the sink goes. The frog is not green but black – why?

I first noticed the frog a couple of weeks ago and jumped and screamed. I thought maybe he was lost and I should move him out to the pond but since I didn’t do anything about him and he’s still there despite the door being left open I presume he stays because he’d happy. Well perhaps ‘happy’ is not a term applied to frogs. He or maybe she sits below the tap hands neatly folded and doesn’t seem bothered by anything I do. I think he probably has a good supply of spiders and woodlice to eat, I’m not sure about tap water? I will have to think of what is going down the drain in case he should be taking a bath when I’m bleaching the tea stains! Eeeck not a possible frog killer too! Anyway I shall call him Percy. Cameron my 9 year old wants to put him in a container and make him a pet. Cameron is very, very keen to have a pet. We finally got him a hamster 2 weeks ago but it is very disappointing, I think maybe because it’s female, moody or something. Never comes out to see him and bites if we try to pick it up and sleeps 18 hours a day – truly no fun. I wish we’d got the rabbits but we have regular foxes and badgers in the garden and anything in a hutch may be terrorised. Still rabbit manure is probably good for the compost heap.

The compost bin has reptilian visitors too – they really do make me scream. I have an aversion to snakes and no amount of common sense can endear me to slow worms which seem to enjoy nesting in the bins. However they are apparently a sign of a healthy bin so I will leave them alone and just bang about a lot before I open a bin. That’s another thing compost – who has time to turn compost? How are you supposed to turn it if it’s in a big bin. My bins are proper compost bins with ventilation/slow worm access holes and when I think the stuff has broken down I just remove the sides and dig it out, but turn it – never!







I have fish in my pond too. Too many to count, they started out as 4 from the pet shop and just bred, they must be happy there. But they eat the frogspawn so I never have tadpoles but that doesn’t seem to stop frogs from laying eggs each spring. I have a ball with a little fountain and the frogs like to get inside – perhaps the vibration of the pump does something for them? I have to routinely evict the frogs to clean the pump – definitely a ‘marigold’s job. They’re green frogs.

2 comments:

Sylvia (England) said...

This page is a no-go area for me, even a picture of a slow worm gives me nightmares! Now don't tell me that slow worms are not snakes but legless lizards or that they are totally harmless, it doesn't help. One advantage of a town garden is that I haven't seen any, yet! I know the garden over the road has grass snakes (also harmless) I just hope they don't visit me, I will put up with slug damage thank you very much!

best wishes Sylvia (England)

Esther Montgomery said...

We're housing the lizards our cats bring home under a pile of branches we don't know what to do with.

Do wild lizards count as pets?

(They don't have names.)

Esther
ESTHER IN THE GARDEN

I was very nearly a Camellia Killer, if I hadn't sought help on line I would have been - hopefully someone will learn from my gardening trials and tribulations. Never, never use tap water to water your prized Camellia if you live in a hard water area - make the effort and walk round the back to the water butt.