Friday, April 17, 2009

An experiment with Squash

On 17th April I planted some squash, butternut in fact I planted 4 seeds from a packet and 4 from a fresh squash. Both lots are sitting on the dinning room windowcill where it's nice and warm and I want to see if what the differences are. I'm hoping the fresh seed germinate and amount to something so I don't have to buy packets again.















Also on the window cill are pots of cerinthe, with seed collected in the autumn, so far a third of the seed are through. I may sell them at the garden open day or have to put them in the garden as many of the self seeded ones from last year have not lasted the frosts.

The cerinthe were a pretty safe bet as they self seed readily, however I have also planted seed collected from the cardoon and also plan to plant some echinacha. Needless to say the runner beans from last years seed are romping away and just waiting for me to put the canes in and harden them off a little longer. It is still getting quite cold at night.


4 comments:

VP said...

Hello - welcome back!

In theory you can save squash seed but you have to take care as they tend to cross pollinate with others close by and so don't come true the next year.

Well worth a try though.

Anonymous said...

I'm not familiar with Cerinthe, but it is gorgeous! With that fabulous blue color... Happy blogging!

Lucy Corrander said...

News update please.

How are the squash?

Seeds from them may not come true, as VP says - but it is fun to find out what next year's will be like. Should taste good, regardless - even if different from your starter ones.

Lucy

Susan in the Pink Hat said...

Cerinthe is stunning, truly!

I was very nearly a Camellia Killer, if I hadn't sought help on line I would have been - hopefully someone will learn from my gardening trials and tribulations. Never, never use tap water to water your prized Camellia if you live in a hard water area - make the effort and walk round the back to the water butt.